Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday 5 October 2015

A storytelling of crows

Canterbury had been blessed with fine weather for a whole week, but now it's back to normal  Mike told me I must go to post office to send packets early if I would like to miss the oncoming rain. I did!

Lately I have made several crows. The first one has flown away to a lovely gentleman. Three different crows are in my Etsy shop now. I have been interested in crows since I read King Solomon's ring by Konrad Lorenz in my teens. When I visited Germany in my early twenties, I even looked for 'the crows', Jackdaws, which I had never seen in Japan. Now I see them several times a week here from my house.
Small crow - sold

As you know, they are intelligent and very social. I love watching them exploring large bins, attacking hawks or just poking grass. They are usually in pairs, but when they are on the ground they are never side by side. They keep a good distance from each other. As I am familiar with finch and parrot behaviours and calls, I often tried to understand the behaviours of crows based on that knowledge. But I can't get close enough. They simply walk away or fly away. They are wary of humans.

Large Crow
 One summer I saw three large crow fledgilings on the ground in a very quiet woods. Parents were calling them, but they were too young to fly. Then later that summer, in a different woods, I saw a cat size chick perching about 2m from the ground. It looked amazingly large. It was not at all bothered as Topaz and I walked underneath. After walk, I saw him again on the same branch. If it was not magical, I don't know what it was. These two incidents are my closest encounter.

Crowing - medium 


There is a green on the way to my post office. People use it for Sunday sports or picnics. It used to be for cattle in the Middle Ages. But it is now surrounded by houses. Anytime I walk there, I usually see a group of crows plodding the ground. I kept observing them. There are jackdaws, rooks and carrion crows. Finally their shapes and postures were etched in my brain. I made my first crows in a weekend, last month.


Shiny beak - small

They are in my Etsy shop
 I am very happy with how they look, so I made more. They come with their own mounts, or plinths. They pretend that they can't move, but I feel they might twitch once a while when nobody is looking. I wish they would tell me about their lives one day.










   


4 comments:

  1. your crows are very expressive and the little wooden plinths set them off well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful and moving...we had a raven's nest high in one of the redwoods. They are very intelligent and vocal! Your crows remind me of them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen ravens in captivity. A bit sad to see them in an aviary. They must look marvellous on redwoods there. : ) Thank you, Charlene.

      Delete