Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday 12 September 2018

Les Tupiniers du Viex Lyon

We went to Lyon with Eurostar in May 2015, just after they launched a direct train from London. Lyon has been my favourite city in France. I had visited there for quite a few times since I was in my twenties.

After a summer show in Hatfield. I thought it would be great to have a long weekend especially they have Les Tupiniers du Viex Lyon, annual ceramic market. I saw in the website, 'A law by Charles VIII from 14 July 1492 authorizes the “tupiniers” to organize their annual market at Place Saint Jean.' With the love of history and tradition, I felt I must visit the market.

I have seen many ceramic arts and pottery in the UK through the fairs I have taken part in. It is nice to see something different and new in other countries. 


It was a glorious morning. There were already lots of people there. 140 stands under the sun in front of Cathedral Saint-Jean.




The view from the cathedral. Basilicque de Fourviere on the hill.



The market was also in the courtyard.




Also on the streets.



Beautiful cathedral had several gargoyles on it.




My favourite Basilique de Fourviere on the hill. We will visit a few days later.

We did come back next day for the last look. We bought a few more things. 


Lightweight, and beautifully made with details. All are stoneware ceramics. Blue big bowls for Udon, Japanese noodles, small for rice bowls, platter for a chocolate cake, cheese and biscuits. Expressionist bowl for pasta in cream sauce. 

I was brought up with high quality ceramics; my mother loves ceramics. each meal you use, you feel the hands and thoughts of the potter. 


Nice ceramics have nice foot rings. 

They look like paintings. Corinne Betton.








Reduction fired bowls with painterly decoration under white glaze. I love them. 



I fell in love with beautiful water marks. Jean-Luc Pirot


They look so easy to use, and well made.  Jean-Luc Feltrini

We had stayed four days in Lyon.  It was a lovely break for us.

Photos of Lyon: Mike





No comments:

Post a Comment