Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday 20 September 2013

Cloud

Hello everyone. My day is finally back to normal, but I don't know what is really normal now. The last couple of afternoons I went to the studio to do some glazing. I have booked a reduction firing on Tuesday. There are about 15 pots to be glazed. I always get very tired after glazing.

In the studio I was given lovely comments on my work in the MA show. How nice! Lots of people told me that they like my artist statement. Here is the original version of my artist statement:
 
When I was a child I thought I would become a writer. My head was a full of imagination, memories, feelings, thoughts and stories. Once a while, they overtook my daily life. It wasn’t always easy for a child to live in the real world and my own world at the same time.  Especially as all my imagination, memories etc. just float around in my head, like clouds in the sky. I didn’t know what to do with them.


Now I capture the floating thoughts in ceramics. Once they were given shapes, they become grounded. They don’t bother my daily life. By creating ceramic sculptures, I file the information, which is, otherwise, difficult to classify, in drawers in my brain. I could bring every nuance and detail of my memories, stories, emotion and thoughts, back to life vividly when I see each sculpture

I create something small almost daily at night. I call them my journal. I am writing in ceramics. In this way, other people can also read.

I am thrilled to share my world with you here at this show. If you would like to know stories about any of my sculptures, just let me know. I have plenty to tell you about them.

I have never read any artist statements except for one written by a friend. I thought they were boring and unnecessary. So I made mine intimate and personal, just like what I create.  I hope you had interesting read.



It is a part of art school.

On Wednesday, Mike and I went to Mascalls gallery to see Gary Rutushniak's prints.  It was very interesting. His works remind me of Japanese graphic design during the period after the war. Strong straight lines, spiral/swirls and nostalgic colours make me feel like that. We enjoyed watching a video, too. Mascalls gallery is in a rural town in west Kent.

Numerous daddy long legs!

As my driving is dangerous and unreliable (Once I was lost for seven hours at Heathrow after I picked up my mother visiting from Japan and ended up in Oxford at one o'clock in the morning, instead of coming back to Canterbury. Friends told me that Oxford is in the opposite direction. It didn't matter to me!), Mike sat in a driving seat. Lots of peculiar clouds were over us on that day.

Cloud look alive!


Mike said they are called cumulous clouds


After the exhibition, we asked the young lady at the reception for a nice place to have a lunch. She recommended a pub called the Poet in a next village. At lunch time on Wednesday it was fully booked. We had to wait for a quite long time (I hate waiting but there was nowhere else and we were hungry.) but it was worth waiting. I had salmon fishcake in a cucumber, gherkin and caper sauce, and cream brulee with mango sorbet desert. Mike had fish and chips and chocolate fondant desert.


Our table looking at a busy junction in a small village (and a spider?)

Mike's chocolate fondant

My mango sorbet. Creme brulee was unfocused!


Some of you know, recently I made a cloud. Because of the show, I couldn't quite finish it.


Cloud I made on 29/08
This is Cloud I made last night. She is going to have a wing. I am going to make more work inspired by clouds.  

Cloud










   

4 comments:

  1. I like your artist statement too! And your clouds, and that spider. I think it is magical the way that you give life in clay to your dreams, thoughts and memories. It makes your work special, and yours. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Minerva! Being honest is my forte! : D I only noticed the spider when I saw the photo! : D

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful the way you explained your creativity in your artist statement !

    ReplyDelete