Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday 20 May 2013

Packing puzzle

Hello everyone. It has been grey rainy Monday here in Canterbury. But I didn't mind it. I was too busy to be bothered by the weather today. First in the morning, I woke up, and got dressed straight away. Mike and I pit-patted to the garage to open the kiln. Ta-da! Success! A little dance! Ceramics were still warm; we picked one by one to check them. Glaze tests went well. Now we can carry on finishing bisque pots and sculptures.

I re-fired Miranda's curse 'Garrulous'. Her story is here. 

Miranda's curse, 'Garrulous'

Miranda's curse, 'Garrulous'
After breakfast at the table (the first time in about one month!) I continued packing my ceramics to be posted. In my experience, multiple sales frequently happen on one day for unknown reasons after a couple of quiet weeks. I had four sales yesterday evening. I packed one last night. I needed to pack two this morning. I am waiting for a confirmation from the last one. Packing the first order took a bit longer than one hour. But the second one took me a whopping two and a half hours!  He is the reason.

Triton
I asked Mike to make fitting polystyrene forms to protect a plinth. Luckily to me, he is on leave this week. I packed him like a cocoon. But I was not able to find a suitable box. I have tried two boxes, but neither fitted well. In the end, I had to make one specially. I made it from a large box; It became like a cradle for it. Now I just hope it will travel well. All my fingers crossed.
     
Triton Packed!
I usually think packing as a puzzle or a game, 3D free cell, so to speak. My sculptures are all different in shapes and sizes; they often give me real challenges. I don't charge my customers for my time for packing although Etsy told us to do it. I must get better at it! As far as there are suitable boxes, it's stress free. A problems is that I can't have all boxes of different sizes and shapes. About a half of customers purchase multiple works, so this makes even more complex than it is already.

I think packing is quite similar to making sculptures. You have to have three-dimensional planning and imagination. So I am making the most of the opportunities to train my brain. Who knows when I am eighty, I might be able to say 'I kept young by packing various sculptures in all sorts of boxes for decades.'    


  

8 comments:

  1. I agree that packaging can be alot more difficult than one would think! But when I see a really well packaged parcel, it gives a nice sense of satisfaction at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It is real satisfaction when it is done nicely! : )

      Delete
  2. I agree, packing is an art. I love Triton and am glad he has a good home now, he was temptng me greatly on Etsy. How wonderful that you have a kiln in your garage, it is so ncie to be close to your art. You have a great imagination too, Miranda is amazing! Minerva x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Minerva. Triton went to a lovely lady in a coastal city. The ocean is calling him! : )

      Delete
  3. Hi Midori,
    It is lovely to stop by at last and leave a comment, thanks to Mrs Black leading me here! :-)
    I love your ceramic work and Triton is awesome. I also worry about packing ceramic pieces because they are so fragile.
    Thank you for following my page.
    Best wishes,
    Jo May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo. Thank you! Yes, cheers to Minerva! : )

      Delete
  4. Oh Midori, yes you are creative from start to finish I would say, right down to the shipping! Hmm an acually that is also what you just said basically ... I am now parroting what I hear it seems ~ perhaps I am spening too much time with Buttercup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Willow, it is more like my positive thinking. : ) If I have to do it, I make the most of it. Buttercup is so lovely. I have neglected our parrots for a while. I kept telling them that once my course finishes, I will make up for it. They listen, so I hope they understand! : )

    ReplyDelete