Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday 28 November 2015

Prayer for Kiln god and Fluxing god, and I forgot Crackle god!

I had lots of Christmas orders to fire, and this would be the last glaze-firing for them. Last Saturday, on the coldest day in this winter, I started the firing.

Glazing

Top Shelf

Lower shelf

While I was glazing hard, Pearl the whippet had dinner from Topaz's dish!


The result was a mixed bag. White glaze and all tapirs came out beautifully. But all clear glazes didn't flux even though they were on the top shelf. It was apparent that the temperature didn't go high enough.

All three polar bears have already gone!

All except for the goofy one are in my shop now. 

All tapirs were sucessful. This is my OUT tray on Wednesday. Clients' names on papers under the works
I decided to do next firing on Wednesday when it was forecast up to 9C. We even moved the kiln to the hallway, because it was going to be the real last firing! I can't fail! My small kiln was very heavy. We had to lift only two steps to get it into the hallway, but I was not able to recover from fatigue until next lunch time!

The kiln in the hallway

It was carefully planned and we started the firing on at seven Wednesday morning. After 1100c the kiln was obviously slowing down, and about 1200c, it stopped! We noticed it soon, and restarted quickly, even so, it had lost 200c by the time the kiln was going again.

Lower shelf
In the end, after a very long firing, it had reached the temperature and firing went well. It was about ten at night. Late afternoon next day I was able to open the kiln. Thankfully all clear glazes fluxed so well. They are all shiny and smooth! But the whippets have no crackles. If you have seen my whippets before, they usually have crackles like veins. Crackling happens when the clay body and glaze shrink at different rates. But a good and important thing is that they are absolutely beautiful!


Top Shelf



Whippet available on my Etsy shop


So, that was my last glaze-firing for the 2015 orders. New orders for 2016 have already come in. Before next glaze-firing, new kiln elements will be fitted in. Luckily customers are happy with clear glazed whippets. I am not surprised, because they look stunning. I have posted two today, a few more will be posetd on Monday. I have several whippets available for my Etsy shop. I have listed three today. So do have a look if you are looking for a present for sighthound lovers! (But do be quick if you are interested! While I was typing this, one was sold on my Etsy shop!)

Today's posting - two whippets and two birds













 



4 comments:

  1. So difficult isn't it! well done you, but I hope you can sort things. you must have reliable equipment. lovely dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. Mike is very good at these things. So he would refit the elements for me. :)

      Delete
  2. I always love the all your animals look when they are in the kiln together. A Peaceable Kingdom!
    You are most fortunate to have a live in kiln repair man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ) You can say that again, Suzi. Without him it could cost me fortune! :D

      Delete