Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Dear my friends,

Winter has come, but no frost yet. Mochaccino, our ancient finch, passed away peacefully early yesterday morning. We did a funeral for him at lunch time. He was buried in a pretty Japanese box filled with flowers. Flowers? You might wonder. Surprisingly a patch of crocuses suddenly opened yesterday in the garden. It might be coincidence, it might not. Just about the time he passed away, Topaz, our sentinel dog inexplicably barked a lot. Mike thinks she sensed something.

Crocuses suddenly opened.

Mike took away the table where the shoe box that has been Mochaccino's home for the last couple of months had been placed, as I was still talking to the table as if he were still in the room. We lost our chirps for the first time in 15 years. We had always had little birds in our house. They belong to a beautiful world. Don't worry, I still talk to him twice a day when I visit his grave. My concern is that he might feel chilly outside, but Mike says that he has joined his family and friends and he is happy. I should believe him.

He didn't eat anything on Sunday and refused to drink water when we put a wet cotton bud on his beak. He looked like going into a coma, but twice during the evening, he made a quiet sound. We knew that the end was near. He waited for Monday morning. After Mike woke him up, he slipped away. Do you know lots of loved animals wait until their humans come when they die?  They don't want to die alone. Nobody does.

You probably know I cry. Do you know Mike cries, too?

I gave the remains of his seeds to Pumpkin, our chicken. She ate them all and made a cooing sound. She was happy. I sent her a wish that she would be as healthy and long-lived as Mochaccino had been. I imagined his spirit entered into Pumpkin via the seeds and will make her a strong healthy bird.

I hope you and your loved ones are well. Dear friends, I am glad that you are with me today.


12 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to your dear little bird. When you have shared such a long time with a small creature it is real grief when they go.
    Your thoughts that Mochaccino's spirit has entered Pumpkin with the seeds is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Celia. Even when we knew it was coming, it is difficult, isn't it? I have just looked at your chick Cheep photo. What a sweet chick he was! It reminded me of the tiny fluffy chicks when our finches were babies. Cheep is very handsome.

      Delete
  2. To live in this world
    you must be able
    to do three things:
    to love what is mortal;
    to hold it
    against your bones knowing
    your own life depends on it;
    and, when the time comes to let it go,
    to let it go.
    ~Mary Oliver

    My heart breaks for you Midori, for I know this pain... I still talk to my departed companion too... I send you love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness, Hussam. I need them.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry for your loss. You clearly gave him a happy life he stayed so long with you. I am sorry, I know it is hard. Wishing you peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patricia for your kindness. We were lucky to have lived with him. I had a good cry, and made small sculptures this afternoon. I keep myself busy.

      Delete
  4. They leave such a gap when they go. The memories they leave people the room and the echoes linger. I am sorry your little one is gone. I bet you will still see him from the corner of your eye from time to time. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do. Grief comes like waves.He was a remarkable little bird. I start greeting him when I enter the room. Thank you so much for being so nice, Charlotte.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry for you and your very special small friend with wings. I think friendships with things that fly are really ethereal. I love what you have written for him. Little birds do inhabit a magical world, where we can visit when they trust us. My father always kept them, outside and in, and after he died I thought I heard small chirps for sometime. Topaz is wise. Hugs to you and Mike. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have gone through such a difficult time. I am so sorry. I had a similar experience with a cat more than 20 years ago; he was a special one, too.

      I started feeling spiritual beings. I used to say it was just coincidence, but having received messages from an animal and a tree, I decided to let myself feel free. Please take care of yourself. With all love, xxx

      Delete
  6. Midori , I just read this . Mochaccino was a very special bird as you know .
    He was happy to have shared his specialness with you and Mike and now Pumpkin too !
    Soft hug to you and Mike.
    Willow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, willow. Now we know we have been lucky to be able to witness his remarkable life. I am making ceramic Mochaccino.

      Delete